Sam Levin was on the cutting edge, teaching pharmacology at an osteopathic school in the 1930's. Originally trained as a pharmacist, he saw pharmacology as an important adjunct to the practice of osteopathic medcine -- so important that he joined the battle to pass legislation allowing DOs to write prescriptions. He also founded PCOM's department of pharmacology and was its first professor, teaching for eight years. The course he taught was experimental pharmacology, which dealt primarily with antiseptics, antidotes, anesthetics, and narcotics. He enjoyed a thriving practice in North Philadelphia in addition to teaching at PCOM.